Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Dinner without massive prepwork-

I was hungry and wanted dinner. I had a long day but did not feel like spending two hours to get dinner ready. I wanted to make dinner in an hour. I looked through the fridge and here is what I had.

asian rubbed chicken
sage stuffing
garlic minted peas


Quick Asian Rub
3 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Turned on the stove to 350 degrees and let it come up to temperture (this normally takes 15 minutes).

I cleaned the chicken (in cold water) and patted it dry. I whipped up the spice rub and patted it into the chicken. It was ready to go in the oven as soon as the time told me the oven was ready.

I keep quick stuffing in my pantry - the kind you boil the water and butter, throw in the stuff and pull it off the heat. I found a sage and onion type. I make two cups of dry stuffing mix at a time and it will last me for 3-4 days.

Peas- frozen or canned. A little butter and garlic added after they are prepared gives them the broke and fabulous gourmet taste without breaking the bank.

Once the chicken is in the oven, the water was ready and I made the stuffing.

The peas were already in the fridge from the night before. If I had wanted to make them, I would have done them at this point. I like the frozen steamer peas- $2.50 for 4 days worth of vegetables and if you catch them in sale, they are even cheaper. They are five minutes in the microwave and done. All you need to toss into them when they are done is a dollop of butter and a 1/2 teaspoon of crushed garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment