Thursday, March 12, 2009

Spiffing Up Your Place-

It does not take a lot of money to make your place look nicer. A glue gun, cute stuff you have laying around the house and a little imagination. will have your abode easy on the eyes.

Low Dough Spiff UP#1-

Flowers all year round
I have wo trash bags filled with different plastic and silk flowers. While I would much rateher have bouquets of fresh flowers all around the house, my cat has a nasty habit of thinking that is his salad course. So went to a craft store and bought an armful of stems and fillers when they were 50% off. I was able to make three arrangements and had some to spare. I change the arrangements once a week like a fresh bouquet. A scented candle in the room that coincides with one of the flowers in the arrangement brings a touch of realism to your work.


Low Dough Spiff Up #2-

Fabric Wall Hangings

I like art but am too cheap to buy expensive prints and do not have artsy friends to make hangable art for me. I have a ton of extra fabric in the house from old projects. I also love to rumage in the ends bin at fabric places. I went to a dollar store and got a cork board. I covered it with about a half a yard of an red printed fabric and secured it with a staples on the back. I put a hercules hook in the wall and voila, a one of a kind accent piece.


Low Dough Spiff Up #3

Chachkas (Bric a Brac with a Flair)

Most folks have a lot of things we can display that are cool. I took clementine crates and used them as accent pieces in bookcase around the house. I put all kind of treasures in them - a tibetan singing bowl, a minature sake set, a cool candle that I don't feel like burning yet or something one of my nieces or nephews made for me. If you want to a very cool shadow box, go to the local thrift store and see if there are any hat boxes for sale.

Low Dough Spiff Up #4

Decorative Conatiners Full of Stuff

I did catering for many years so I have a collection of baskets. During the holiday season, there is no end of decorative containers. When you want to add a little zing to a room, you can fill up a nice glass container with colored stones (red and black is my favorite combo), a shallow vase with potpourri, or set out some scented candles in glass jars that you are always seem to be accumualting.



Low Dough Spiff Up #5

Impromptu Memory Wall

I belong to an online haiku group that has a tradition of sending New Year's postcards. I hand stamp a card with and pen haiku for the new year on it. last year, I made 45 cards and recieved and 32. There were a few I really liked and I moved them to a wall in the study from the living room. I have cards from far off places that frinds and family have traveled. Recently I framed a few matted printes and added them to the wall. Folks who visit can tell what I hold near and dear at a glance and try to see if they have sent wall worthy submissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment