Friday, February 1, 2013

A "Broke" Experiment-

For the first time in a long time, I have more month than money.  The last two months have been filled with unexpected money pits and I find myself essentially fundless until my next check. I'm talking it's time to break open the piggy bank and scrounge for change under the sofa cushions.  I do not regret being generous, I have have to go into starving student mode for a bit.  I wondered to myself if I could still pull off not being broke.  I had to asses my pantry, medicine cabinet, gas tank and leisure plans before I figured out what I could spend until I got paid again.


I have a fridge full of food so I won't starve and I just have to get out of the Asian habit of going to the grocery store every day. The only thing I might run out of is snacks but that can be overcome by being creative.  I need to try to lower my salty / sugary junk intake anyways.

I usually restock my medicine cabinets at the end of January, but oddly enough, thanks to Superstorm Sandy, I am in good shape for a few more months.

I have a concert ticket and it is two weeks out so I will be good.  I need to work on my writing, so I can amuse myself for hours working on my next rash of dialouge and if I need other distractions, I have books to read and puzzles to solve. I wonder what other hobbies there are that are basically cashless - some research is in order.

With all of that in place, I am setting out to only spend gas money plus $30 in the next six days.

This morning, I filled up my tank.  I did not have to do daily shuttle service, so I got home early and had a leisurely dinner for breakfast.

I didn't pack a full lunch bag so I treated myself to a bag of chips at work - 85 cents. 

Looking forward to the rest of the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment